Sunday, December 16, 2007

the back 40

Just a quick post to indulge my geekiness.

Went shopping with Ben to purchase some items that I could use to reorganize my desk so I could make room for my new server. I've got most things set up--except for the new UPS, but it's going to be a lengthy process to unplug everything and plug it back in.

Just to show how srsly geeky I am, here's a list of all the electronics on/in/around my desk:
  • Two desktop systems (the new one and my Linux box)
  • Two laptops (mine and the one from work)
  • A four-system KVM switch
  • 20" flat-panel monitor
  • 500 GB external drive
  • External CD/DVD drive (for my laptop)
  • Multi-function printer/fax/copier
  • Two DSL modems
  • Two network switches (one load-balancing)
  • A four-port ethernet hub
  • A four-port USB hub
  • Boston Acoustics speaker system (one sub-woofer, two satellites)
  • Cell phone w/charger
  • iPod w/charger
  • A desk lamp
  • A lava lamp
  • A cordless phone
  • Keyboard (corded)
  • Mouse (cordless)
  • Tablet input device (corded) and pen (cordless)
  • An eight-outlet UPS
  • Two surge-protecting power strips

It is at this point I realize that it's probably a good thing I don't want to have kids, because I'm probably sterile after sitting here for an hour. Maybe after I get the UPS set up, I'll take a picture to show you.

Of course, to any thieves who have perked up at the sheer immenseness of the tech list, I'd like to point out that most of the equipment is elderly and never was top-of-the-line to begin with. It isn't worth the gasoline you'd burn driving out here to lift the stuff. Plus, it'd make me very pissed off. (I will find you.)

1 comment:

Brain said...

You srsly need to get a second monitor up there. Srsly. The extra workspace is H2D.