Monday, November 19, 2007

outputs and inputs

So, Friday, I went in for my drug test. (I'm supposed to find out if I passed or not today or tomorrow.) Naturally, I woke up with a full bladder and figured there was going to be no way I'd be able to hold it, so I went. On the way to the testing facility, I slammed a couple of Diet Cokes, thinking that the fluid and caffeine (a diuretic) would work in my favor.

The lady gave me a cup and made a mark about 3/4" from the bottom. "We need this much." Okay. So, I go into the little bathroom and proceed to furnish them with a sample. I do what I can, and I check the cup. I've only got about 1/2" of fluid in the cup. Damn. So, I try again. Nothing. I'm like the Mojave Desert inside. Now, my usual trick when this happens is to run water--but I've been expressly prohibited from doing this because I might somehow use it to tamper with the sample.

I keep trying, futilely, until the lady knocks on the door and asks me if I'm done. I abashedly present her with my under-achievement. She looks and, to my relief, says, "Oh, that's probably enough." It was enough to get a temperature reading and to fill the vial to be sent off to the lab. Phew!

Naturally, when I got home, I went for what felt like a gallon.

Yesterday, we had lunch at Olive Garden with Ben and Brain to celebrate his birthday and my jobishness. It was good to see them, and we had a fun waiter. Then, we drove up to Minneapolis to go to our friend Ross's annual dessert party.

Now, Dave and I are trying a low glycemic index (GI) diet, and dessert parties are definitely on the avoid list. However, we decided that after a month of dedicated service to the diet, we deserved a bit of a splurge (and, the plan we're following allows for the occasional indulgence).

It was a very excellent party--lots of fun people and the desserts were boss! There was a lovely flan with warm caramel sauce, baklava, brownies, and chocolate chip & walnut cookies. Karla brought a severely tasty banana cake, and Sue brought banana bread worthy of a grandmother. (I guess they went bananas for the party! Ba-dum bum.) Someone even brought lefse, which Sue buttered and dusted with brown sugar. John brought a fruit and cheese plate. I noticed that the kids were helping themselves to the fruit and had very little of the desserts. Weird kids.

Anyway, it was a nice time, and we got to see the bar that Ross built in the basement. Most of the non-breeders hung out down there. I spent most of my time upstairs, though, so I could sit down and not aggravate my arthritic ankle. It worked out fine because all the kids are really well behaved. I don't really mind kids when they aren't screaming.

Checked the scale this morning, and it seems no damage was done. Yay! We might make it through the holidays after all!

No comments: